Visa & Residence Permit Information


Where to start…

dBs Music Berlin is a private college in Berlin. Unfortunately this means that potential students are not able to apply for a student visa. However, we gathered some information to help you in your research for visa options.

EU Citizens
Visa Group 1

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus , Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

Potential students who are citizens of the EU don’t need to worry about visas as you are are free to move anywhere within the EU. All you need to do is register with a Bürgeramt when you get to Berlin within the first two weeks after you got here.

Swiss students must also apply for a Aufenthaltsgenehmigung (residence permit) at the Ausländerbehörde. You must prove that you have health insurance and are able to finance your studies from your own resources.

Buddy Countries
Visa Group 2

Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Korea, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, the United States, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Chile, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Seychelles, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela

Citizens of these countries do not require an entry visa to come to Germany for stays of up to 3 months.

After 3 months, a residence permit is usually required but can be applied for after arriving in Germany. You must report to the registration office (registration office or local public office) within the first two weeks. Each case is treated individually.

Our current understanding is that you will not be able to apply for a standard “Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studying” as this only applies to state registered universities. However there may be other available routes depending on your situation. Please read the section titled Resident Permit Routes.

In all cases you must prove that you have health insurance and are able to finance your living costs from your own resources.

All Other Countries

Citizens of all other countries not mentioned above will require an entry visa to study in Germany. Unfortunately our courses do not currently qualify for this type of visa application.

We are hoping to complete a registration process for our courses to become eligible and will inform you as soon as the situation has changed. We do not yet have a timescale for this process.

Resident Permit Routes

If you are aged between 18 and 30 (35 for Canadians*)and can prove sufficient funds for the first three months (ca. 250 euro per month) you can stay for a maximum of 12 months on a Working Holiday Visa.This visa also allows you to get a job.

This would be sufficient to take our Diploma course but you would need to find an alternative route after 12 months if you wish to take a degree.

When to apply: BEFORE coming to Germany if you are from Canada, South Korea, Taiwan or Hong Kong (just contact your local German embassy or consulate); before OR after having arrived in Germany for citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Japan.

For citizens of other countries in Group 2, depending on your situation it is our understanding that you may be able to successfully apply for your residence permit in a number of different ways. We have listed some links to sites containing information which may help support you.

Residence Permit for Self Employed Artist/Musician →

Up to date information on German visa regulations →

Full list of countries & their entry conditions →